Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Winter Palace Hotel, Luxor, and the awesome Anniversary Party

The Winter Palace
The hotel where we stayed is awesome! Because of the lack of tourism, which is sad, our room was upgraded from staying in the pavilion to staying in the actual palace. Our balcony overlooked the garden and was just breathtaking. Every morning we enjoyed a yummy breakfast that was included. I ate my weight in fresh fruit, it was so delicious.


 The Garden

The back of the palace from the garden

The lovely pool
My hat I bought for the trip

The view from our balcony


Luxor Temple

The Luxor Temple was absolutely beautiful! We were able to visit it at sunset and stayed to see the lovely lights at night. The temple included very high columns and many beautiful statues. When you think about how old the place is and how they built it using the technology they had, it is amazing.








 Anniversary Party

Mark and I had planned to have a nice dinner, see Luxor at night and just chill out on our anniversary...but boy did Dr. Brand and the rest of the crew have different plans. We did go to dinner and see Luxor but we were surprised with a little party type thing with everyone. I had heard that where we were going would have a snake charmer...and if you know me you know that I do not think snakes are charming at all.

When we got to our location I was looking for the basket that you always see them pull the snake out of, but it was nowhere in sight. A band began to play and Omar got us all up to dance. After a little dancing a belly dancer came out to entertain us for a while. She pulled myself and the others up to dance with her. I was told I am pretty good at belly dancing...I don't know about that but it was fun and a great workout.

While I was dancing the lights and electricity went off. I thought they were trying to have some grand entrance for the snake charmer and ran to my seat. Luckily it was not the snake...the power just went off. When the snake charmer did bring the snake out I started breathing hard and my mouth got dry. Even though I am afraid of snakes it was a good show. He offered the snake to people that wanted to come up. Mark was brave and held the snake while I coward at my seat. After the snake charmer was a whirling dervish. He was amazing. He seriously spun around and around while doing different tricks for I would say 20 minutes. Can you imagine spinning around for 20 minutes without getting dizzy?

Overall it was a great anniversary and one that we will remember forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment