Saturday, June 11, 2011

Snorkeling in the Red Sea!

We had two wonderful days of snorkeling while in Sharm el Sheikh. I was really excited because I had not been to the beach in years let alone one this pretty, and I definitely had not ever been really far out to sea. The first day of snorkeling was along the coral of the Tiran Islands. Looking back I wish we had invested in a cheap underwater camera, but luckily the group we were with had a professional taking pictures of the people and the animals. Within 5 minutes of being in the water we saw a sting ray! There were so many beautiful fish and coral. We found out that the small jellyfish that inhabit the red sea are harmless. They swam around us and were not bothered at all. We also spotted what is called a lion fish. These fish have barbs that will hurt you, but it was far enough down that as long as you left it alone, it would leave you alone.







Our second day of snorkeling was a bit more exciting. We snorkeled along the reefs of Ras Mohamed National Park. The coral there was beautiful, and there was more wildlife. We noticed that many of the fish swam either in a huge school or were paired off. I wondered if perhaps they were with their mate. We saw something very scary and exciting lurking in a cavern below us. Our guide pointed him out. It was a Moray Eel. He never came all the way out...I think I would have flipped out if he did. Moray Eels are dangerous to humans. If agitated their needle like teeth can do some major damage.

A couple of minutes after we saw our eel friend I was looking down throughout the caverns. Have you ever seen those movies where all of the sudden you get a glimpse of something scary. Like the tail of a huge snake in Anaconda or the leg of an alien in the movie Signs? Well this was one of those moments. I am looking down and all of the sudden I see this huge Moray Eel slither between the caverns. He was huge! I did not see his head or his tail during the entire time I watched him swim by, it was like he was never ending. I popped up and asked the guide if he saw what I saw and he confirmed it was a very large Moray Eel. If you know me, then you know how much I HATE snakes...well I believe that eels are the snakes of the sea. 

In a few minutes we check out of this wonderful hotel and head to Cairo/Giza for our final stop. The trip is winding down, but tomorrow will be exciting!

 This is not a picture of our eel...but one alot like it....SCARY LARRY!



No comments:

Post a Comment