Monday, June 6, 2011

Catching up (warning this will be long)

 The Land and the People and a Little Slice of Karnak

Egypt is AMAZING! When we were flying over Luxor it was interesting to see the definite line that separates desert from life. The Nile and canals keep the area right on the river nice and green but you can see where it all stops. You can even put one foot in the desert and one in the fertile area. Driving is very interesting in Egypt. They have signs and lines in the road but paying attention to them seems optional. If you can pass a car or fit a car in the road, you do it. When you want to turn you pretty much just do it whenever. I'm sure there's a logic to it, but it's definitely very foreign to my way of thinking! Cars will come a foot or so from hitting each other, but I have yet to see them actually hit. And pedestrians have the right of way does not really apply here. They won't hit you or anything; there's just no right away. Go when you can, and do so assertively. Omar, an awesome local that works for Mark's group, told us we have to learn how to walk like an Egyptian. This simply means when you think you have a chance to make it, you go. Don't think about it, just do it.

Perhaps the most important thing that struck me is this: we are so spoiled. I knew this before, but being here has really confirmed it. We only see the pictures of the beautiful tourist traps in Egypt, but many people here are not so fortunate to live in the beautiful areas. Now that tourism is down, many of the people are desperate. When we visit places we think it's awesome at first because there is hardly no one there. But then you become friends with some of the locals and realize how dependent they are on the tourism. Children will come up to you asking you to buy their items or even just asking for money. They can be a little annoying, but imagine if that is how you made ends meat, and all of the sudden the amount of people you saw in a day was drastically reduced. You have to hold your guns and sometimes ignore them, because you can not buy from them all. It makes me sad that they have suffered because of lack of tourism.  

When I told people I was coming over here they would tell me to be careful or ask me if I was afraid. Let me tell you, I feel safer here than I do in Memphis in many respects. We Americans judge the Arab people so harshly because of the things the extremist do. Most of the people are very nice, work hard and take pride in their work.  I have met so many wonderful people. They make the same jokes we make, and in a way they are even funnier because of the broken English. I mean they can make me laugh without fully being able to communicate with me. That's impressive when you think about it. And many of them are so helpful. Mark and Omar even refer to each other as brothers. Sure some of them haggling with you or are annoying but most of them are great from my experience. We are so quick to judge people that are different from us, when we have no idea who they really are except for what the television tells us. 

Okay some fun stuff...

My first full day of Egypt we spent some time at the Karnak Temple, among other things. This is the temple that Mark is working at.
Ram Sphinxes outside of temple

Entrance to the Temple
 There were hieroglyphs everywhere, even the ceiling.  Notice the colors that have survived so long!
 There are 122 of these huge columns. Mark and his group are working on recording everything these columns say.
 Obelisk at Karnak, what does it remind you of?
 Erm, do you see what I see? It is in fact, ALL OVER the place!!

I have so so so much more to say (I haven't even gotten to the anniversary celebration with a Belly Dancer, a snake charmer and a whirling dervish) but that's enough for now. I'll try to update you all again later tonight!













No comments:

Post a Comment